Hakuna Wear began in 2018 after our founder went on her first tropical surf trip. She had a blast going on scooter rides and boat trips to the breaks but didn't have a pocket to bring money or a hotel key and kept losing her bottoms in the surf.
"I felt un-empowered by my bikini and I wanted to change that."
-Jessica Boynton, Founder and Designer
Hakuna Wear began to change the swimwear industry and design both fashionable and functional swimwear so that you can be free to be you. That means a place to stash your essentials (pockets), no nip slips, no cheek leak, and no worries when you wear a Hakuna suit.
When we say no worries, we really mean it. You can rest easy knowing all our suits are responsibly made with the most sustainable fabrics on the market for swim and surfwear. Only recycled fabrics, made from recycled water bottles (don't worry, it's still super soft!), and Yulex, a plant based neoprene alternative. All woman owned, invested, and designed in the heart of Oceanside, California, USA.
We are making this decision as easy as possible for you. Now get out there!
We are a small brand with a big mission:
To empower people to let go of their worries in the ocean no matter what color, gender, religion, etc. you identify with. Hakuna Wear designs suits that allow you to be free to be you and celebrate the diversity of surfing.
Our Commitment to Sustainability
Behind Our Name
We all know the lovable phrase, Hakuna Matata, it means no worries, for the rest of your days... But did you know Hakuna Matata is actually a Swahili phrase meaning 'no trouble', 'no worries', or 'take it easy'. Hakuna means 'where there is, there is not' and Matata is 'problems'. It can be used as a greeting, similar to Aloha or Pura Vida. We wanted our brand name to invoke this lifestyle and feeling of no worries, and that is why we call it Hakuna Wear or 'no worries swimwear'. Thank you to everyone who speaks Swahili for letting us borrow this beautiful phrase.
- We stand by the quality of our suits and guarantee our products, so far they have been tested since 2018 and still going!
- Our suits are rigorously tested. Tested by a range of sizes and in a range of sports and conditions, surfing, paddling, swimming, snorkeling, running, hiking, and everything in between.
- We custom design every suit for the highest performance.
- We use quality sustainable fabrics.
- We manufacture in small batches so as not to have unnecessary waste.
- We offer to fix wear and tear for an at-cost fee.
- We offer payment plans to make the pricing more accessible.